Dual mode E-Biab control panel build!

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hi Guys,
first sorry for my english, i'll try to write at my best :roll: .

After one year messing on it, finally finished the brewery control panel, it will work on 26 gallon/100 liters (14g/52l of final product) Electric Biab setup with automatic stirrer. Panel is dual purpose, most exciting characteristic, auto and manual mode.

It works automagically via Raspberry Pi, loaded with Strangebrew Elsinore software (open source project, really nice one, simple and effective, lots of options). it control SSR via Pid algorithm, take temperature readings from inexpensive digital thermo probes (DS18B20 model) which has error of +/- 0,5 celsius degrees from -10 to 85°c, plenty for my/our use, can trigger other items like pumps/stirrer/etc., in my case i use a stirrer made with a automotive wiper motor.
In case something goes wrong on the AUTO side, with just a turn on a couple of switch and changing the elements plug outlet, Panel goes in MANUAL mode, with 2 3800watt SCR for the elements, manually regulated and same thing for the stirrer (on/off and speed/voltage potentiometer regulator).

I couldn't count how much time i've worked on it....

Starting from the schematics, here when it was only a base plan in my head

I've two 2kw elements and a 12v stirrer, here in italy we have single phase 230v 50hz Ac current (my home energy contract is 4.5kw), security is a must so i've put a dedicated 25amp breaker in the garage, i think is what you call gfci circuit maybe? not sure about that. Used a 25amp Neutrik powercon connector, and final picture the panel box, an old alarm box which i didn't pay for :D.

Here the schematics (done with paint, sorry),divided by high and low voltage.
Just remember, these are for italian 230v AC circuits, please use caution with high voltage, and don't blame me for any problem! :cry:

High volt, primary power relay 30amp/250v, 20amp/12v switching power supply, 25amp/250v industrial selector (3 position), 10amp/250v single switches for every elements and dual 3800watt scr on manual side, every power outlet has 10amp fuse.

Low volt is a bit more complicated, generally we have a 12v power supply, 3amp/5v stepdown regulator
auto: one 10amp/250v relay circuit energized by GPIO port on Raspberry PI for the stirrer, OneWire protocol circuitry for the temp. probes, 40amp SSR circuit for the elements, always loaded by GPIO.
manual: 12v switch, a selector for 12v (auto-OFF-manual) and voltage/speed regulator for the stirrer (wokr in auto and manual mode)
Last edited by blitz on 25 Feb 2016, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Italy

Post #2 made 8 years ago
a bit of flex/dremel work made by my father, i'm not that good with flex/solder/dremel :cry:

Holes for the power outlets, some cuts on the box, after that an aluminum panel will be mounted on the front, with all switches, led, etc.

Here the ssr section, similar to electricbrewery, but this can be disassembled for maintenance, it will be silicone for water insulation, like all the power outlets and so on. I used thermal paste to enhance heat dissipation.

Test fit SSR section

Front panel cuts, switched and leds test fit
Last edited by blitz on 25 Feb 2016, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Working on it i found a problem, box wasn't deep enough to mount inside all the items, so i've add at the rear of the panel a electric box in which i've put power supply and 5v stepdown regulator.
I've sanded and sprayed the panel, but paint is not good....worked on it after that and lots of paint chipped, i'll try to touch it up in the future, right now i need it to work good.

I've used a couple of "eyelet screw" (don't know the right word) to fix it to the wall, so i could move it around if i need. Maybe i could take it to some friends house for a brew :peace:

Mounting some components

With onewire protocol you could mount as mush temp. probes you want with just 3 wires (daisy chain), i choose to use one internally to check ssr temperature, and two external plugs done with XLR connectors, in picture a stainless steel IP67 DS18B20 probe.
Last edited by blitz on 25 Feb 2016, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Sorry for the pics intensive discussion, instead of doing a step by step thread i've waited to check everything is ok and post it when sure it was working.
Here a video test of the panel (sorry is in italian), it show in the first part manual mode (stirrer on and off, stirrer speed regulation, voltage reading on elements output) and auto mode with software triggering a light that heat the probe, and throttle the power output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGxQjadbj94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the "baby", i've found wiring very challenging, i'm not an expert and working with thick gauges , trying to clean the mess of wires was very difficult for me. I'm sure someone with skill in that field could make a lot better than this!

Near the finish line, i choose to make two "windows" for raspberry pi usb/ethernet and hdmi outputs, so i could attach a monitor and a wireless keyboard if if i need to work on it.

Only missing the tags, i'll do with a Dymo i've at home, maybe in the future i will made something more professional.

Used the contro panel for the first time last Saturday after a couple of wet tests with only water. I brew an APA (recipe done with Biabacus of course :thumbs: ) at the upper limit of my brewery (22g/85liters of wort, 17g/68l in boil, 14g/52l of finished beer), panel worked flawlessly, only things i've noted is the ssr temp which is high (140f/60c degrees), i think i will add a fan in the box down the line.

For this project i've to thanks my "always present with the flex" father, friends that worked with me, an italian beer forum (ilforumdellabirra.net, nice people!) , and also all the biabrewers members, i've lurked and learned a lot here!

Cheers guys
Last edited by blitz on 25 Feb 2016, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 made 8 years ago
What a beautiful design. I am planning on going electric at some point and appreciate these kind of posts.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #7 made 8 years ago
I can't see the wings or the tailplane?

Hold on... I thought I had stumbled upon an aeronautical engineer's forum :lol:.

I'll reply more in your other thread :peace:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 26 Feb 2016, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests