Post #101 made 7 years ago
Hops are fading on the Imperial IPA
Bitterness, flavor, or both? With my (non-Imperial) IPAs I've noticed an eventual reduction in hop flavor but not the bitterness. Do you know if commercial examples also suffer the same problem? I don't seem to notice much change over time with commercial beers as I do with my bottle conditioned beers, and I imagine this is because of the yeast in the bottle along with them being stored at ambient temps. I guess it's not possible to 'stabilize' the beer in some way, and there's always going to be some change over time.

Cheers!
Last edited by BDP on 09 Jul 2016, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post #102 made 7 years ago
BDP wrote:
Hops are fading on the Imperial IPA
Bitterness, flavor, or both? With my (non-Imperial) IPAs I've noticed an eventual reduction in hop flavor but not the bitterness. Do you know if commercial examples also suffer the same problem? I don't seem to notice much change over time with commercial beers as I do with my bottle conditioned beers, and I imagine this is because of the yeast in the bottle along with them being stored at ambient temps. I guess it's not possible to 'stabilize' the beer in some way, and there's always going to be some change over time.

Cheers!
Flavor/Aroma is declining. Bitterness was pretty low to start(70 IBU, which was a nod to advice by the brewer for how bell's hopslam is made).

I don't really notice much of a decline in bitterness, mainly because I consume it all before that is apparent. In both my beer,and commercial beer I do notice a similar decline in flavor/aroma if i can get it fresh enough. 7-8 weeks from bottling day seems about the threshold where I begin noticing it.

There's always filtering, but I'm not interested in that. I've made plenty of hoppy brews that were good when fresh or old, but they are surely different beers after a while. This makes experimenting with new ingredients pretty tough, so I better start a notebook or something before I forget!

Heck, the hoppy pale ale I still have on the keg aged much better with aroma,so there may be something to cold storage. I just don't have the fridge space for 8 cases :D.
Last edited by Rick on 09 Jul 2016, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #103 made 7 years ago
I decided to make 11G of a quick sour beer on the 3rd kettle on the upcoming brew day (early sept).

It'll go something like ...

Pre-brew day

- prep a half gallon lacto-starter with DME and acid malt
- hold at 104-114F for 3 days

references:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -sour.html
http://sourbeerblog.com/fast-souring-lactobacillus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Sour_Worting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bjcp.org/cep/AmericanWildAle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brew day

-mash
-drain
-pasteurize
-overnight chill unboiled/unhopped wort

Post brew day

-transfer to three fermenters and pitch evenly divided lacto-starter (may just kettle sour in the future, but for now I want an airlock)
-hold fermenters at 80-114F for 3 days (target pH of 4.0 to 4.3 for better head retention, adjust w/ acid if needed)
-transfer to kettle for boil w/ hops
-overnight chill (secondary chill in fridge the next day if needed)
-pitch yeast starter (WLP648), inspired by Avery's 22nd anniversary beer, and Mike Tonsmeire obviously. It will have taken roughly 2 weeks to step this up to "adequate" cell count.
- It should be finished fermenting in 2 weeks, but I'll let it go for 3.
- single dry hop addition for 3-4 days prior to bottling.

Base recipe:

85% pils
4.2% light munich
4.2% vienna
6.6% wheat

60m 20 IBU of warrior hops
4 oz of Mosaic per 5G dry hop
1 oz of Chinook per 5G dry hop

- I only added the munich and vienna to get my pils order down to a rounded 20lb. I originally wanted to just use pils and wheat, but this should add a little character, so win/win.
Last edited by Rick on 13 Jul 2016, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post #104 made 7 years ago
The above sour beer had some issues with the brett starter, as it got infected. Damn fruit fly wiggled under the aluminum foil/rubber band and layed some eggs in there. I'll still give that a go, but it'll have to wait a bit until I can source more Brett.

The other two kettles went forward on my 9/24 brew day. The change in evaporation rate over my last few brew days caused me to change the default BIABacus settings, and now I'm set. Nailed both of 'em this time (+.001 for target 1.055 pale ale, and -.001 for target 1.062 coconut porter).

Been traveling a ton for work lately, and also just got finished a solid 2 months of truck shopping ... hopefully I can hang around a bit more now that it's all over. More traveling coming up in December, and then perhaps again in March. For now I get a breather, though ... it's much needed.

Post #105 made 7 years ago
Nice Rick, bummer about the infected starter. Stupid fruit flies are rampant here this time of year too... :angry:

I think the same thing happened to me the other day - I usually do 2 starters in separate containers so I don't have to wash yeast, I went to step them up and one smelled a bit vinegery and the other was fine. Glad I had 2 and a couple days before brewing...

Speaking of lacto, I recently did a sour IPA that I sour worted, usual mash and mashout, let cool slowly in kettle, then when the wort hit 45C I threw in a half pound of unmilled 2 row and quarter pound unmilled acidulated malt. Let that steep for 30 mins, removed grain and transferred to a carboy that I kept at 45C for 3 days... Smelled like saurkraut and came down 5 points in that time. I don't have an accurate way to measure ph other than strips, which are pretty useless to any more than .5 a point so pretty much just hoped for the best. Boiled for 30 mins and added a bunch of hops, fermented with whitbread 1099, dry hopped a bunch more, but after 16 days it only came down to 1.023. (from 1.062) Fermentation had come to a standstill so I decided to just bottle and hope for the best but wasn't sure it would carb as I am guessing the ph came down too low for the yeast to work anymore.

Luckily it did, and its a pretty decent beer. I have only ever tried 1 commercial sour IPA, and I think this one came out at least as good. Its an odd combination, lacto sourness and hop bitterness, but I think the high FG sweetness sort of actually works with the sourness. I also didn't go crazy with the bittering, sort of low side of IPA IBUs.

Anyway, not trying to hijack your blog here or anything but figured i'd share one of my recent souring experiments...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #106 made 7 years ago
goulaigan wrote:Nice Rick, bummer about the infected starter. Stupid fruit flies are rampant here this time of year too... :angry:

I think the same thing happened to me the other day - I usually do 2 starters in separate containers so I don't have to wash yeast, I went to step them up and one smelled a bit vinegery and the other was fine. Glad I had 2 and a couple days before brewing...

Speaking of lacto, I recently did a sour IPA that I sour worted, usual mash and mashout, let cool slowly in kettle, then when the wort hit 45C I threw in a half pound of unmilled 2 row and quarter pound unmilled acidulated malt. Let that steep for 30 mins, removed grain and transferred to a carboy that I kept at 45C for 3 days... Smelled like saurkraut and came down 5 points in that time. I don't have an accurate way to measure ph other than strips, which are pretty useless to any more than .5 a point so pretty much just hoped for the best. Boiled for 30 mins and added a bunch of hops, fermented with whitbread 1099, dry hopped a bunch more, but after 16 days it only came down to 1.023. (from 1.062) Fermentation had come to a standstill so I decided to just bottle and hope for the best but wasn't sure it would carb as I am guessing the ph came down too low for the yeast to work anymore.

Luckily it did, and its a pretty decent beer. I have only ever tried 1 commercial sour IPA, and I think this one came out at least as good. Its an odd combination, lacto sourness and hop bitterness, but I think the high FG sweetness sort of actually works with the sourness. I also didn't go crazy with the bittering, sort of low side of IPA IBUs.

Anyway, not trying to hijack your blog here or anything but figured i'd share one of my recent souring experiments...
It is impossible to hijack this thread!

I'm curious to know how confident you are in souring in the kettle again? I had originally planned to use a few old fermenters for this, but then started changing my mind toward souring in the kettle.

The ph issue is one reason I chose to use Brett, as I also use the strips. Unfortunately, I had to make a huge starter which was stepped up over 3 weeks (most of which I was away from home). This gave the fruit flies ample opportunity to attack. Next time I do that, I'll probably seal it up in my unplugged kegerator. The window of opportunity is gone now that fall is here, so perhaps I'll invest in a barrel warmer to get this project going again.
Last edited by Rick on 10 Oct 2016, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post #107 made 7 years ago
I didn't really sour in the kettle, just steeped some unmilled grain in there for 30 mins when the temp came down to 45c. It was then transferred to a carboy for the three day sour. Like you I am more comfortable with it sealed up with an airlock, especially this time of year with the fruit flies.

As for doing it again, I would, this was my second time doing it this way, first time I did a berliner weisse and it turned out very well.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #108 made 7 years ago
goulaigan wrote:I didn't really sour in the kettle, just steeped some unmilled grain in there for 30 mins when the temp came down to 45c. It was then transferred to a carboy for the three day sour. Like you I am more comfortable with it sealed up with an airlock, especially this time of year with the fruit flies.

As for doing it again, I would, this was my second time doing it this way, first time I did a berliner weisse and it turned out very well.
Gotcha, duyy ... I totally misread that.

The lids for my kettles fit tight and "perfectly" flush, that's why I was considering the kettle sour method. I do overnight chills free of worry, even in the dead of summer when the flies are at their worst. In fact, I don't think I've seen a single one in my barn, so I guess this is a positive of having an abundant population of spiders in there.

I'm fairly certain it is the cat litter boxes that draw them into the house, doesn't matter that I scoop them twice a day. :angry:
Last edited by Rick on 10 Oct 2016, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post #109 made 7 years ago
Few updates. The Imperial IPA that I brewed back in April was split into two fermentations to test WLP002 vs US05. I've enjoyed both during the process, but at this point the US05 stands out as the clear winner for longevity sake (which for hoppy beer, can be an oxymoron to some). WLP002 is noticeably sweeter after 6 mos aging, almost a bit cloying without the fresh hop assault of a young IPA. BUT, this maltiness really helps with balance in the younger days. Pros and cons, but I really do like the Chico strain. I will continue to experiment, but this will be my go-to when I need predictable results.

Also, my latest pale ale I switched up my hopping schedule. Instead of a small bittering charge, and then depending on a huge hop stand/flame out addition to hit my IBU target ... I am hitting IBU target with 60m and 30m additions of a clean high AA%. Then, I add the same hop stand below isomerization temps.
General 6G VAW recipe ...

1.055/1.010-1.012

Maris Otter 85.3%
Caravienne 4.2%
Carapils 4.2%
Red Wheat 6.3%

149-152 mash range
5.2pH target w/ Brunwater Pale Ale Profile

Warrior 60m 25 IBU's worth (Tinseth)
Warrior 30m 25 IBU
Amarillo 85g (30-45m post boil hop stand <174F)

Mosaic 85g (dry hop secondary 3-5 days)
Galaxy 85g (dry hop secondary 3-5 days)

US05 @ 66F
The last few hoppy beers haven't come out bitter enough for two reasons.

1. Difference of boil off rate for new burners hadn't been accounted for.
2. I have wanted to increase my perception of bitterness for a while now.

I just poured my first pint of the above listed recipe/hoppy pale ale, and it's about as perfect as I could ever have hoped for. It's been a while since I've been so happy with a hoppy brew, and it's funny that I'm simply going back to what has worked in the past. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes, but hey ... now I know what works for me. Dry, crisp ... but not too light in body. Huge, lasting thick head with great lacing. I call this an "international pale ale", but really ... it's clearly an India by anyone's standards.

The coconut porter is also repeating well, and quickly becoming a favorite among my friends/family. I'll be taking a keg of each for camping this weekend, can't wait to share these fine brews that have been carefully tweaked for seemingly forever now!
Last edited by Rick on 26 Oct 2016, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post #110 made 7 years ago
Rick wrote: As far as Bru'n Water profiles, I dig the pale ale profile for my ipa's. I don't try to hit 300 ppm sulfates though, mid 200's seems to work best for my tastes. Really though, above that I cannot tell a difference. Yellow balanced for a hoppy beer is just fine, but the pale ale really helps with flavor separation and perception of bitterness.
Rick :shoot: - I am planning a brew based off of the Bell's Two Hearted Ale, following the OG, IBU and hop variety as outlined below.

Can you look at my Bru'n water file and let me know if it looks okay?

Any comments on the hop schedule, what would you do different?

Thank you...
MS I Heart Me IPA - Brun Water - For Nov 2016 Brewday.xls

I Heart Me - American IPA

Original Gravity (OG): 1.063
IBU's (Tinseth): 55
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.87
Colour: 14.1 EBC = 7.2 SRM

84% Rahr 2 row (3.5 EBC = 1.8 SRM) 10254 grams = 22.61 pounds
10% Wey Munich type 2 (25 EBC = 12.7 SRM) 1221 grams = 2.69 pounds
6% Crisp Caramalt (52 EBC = 26.4 SRM) 732 grams = 1.61 pounds

24.3 IBU Centennial Flowers (9.9%AA) 58.3 grams = 2.058 ounces at 45 mins
20.3 IBU Centennial Flowers (9.9%AA) 58.3 grams = 2.058 ounces at 30 mins
10.4 IBU Centennial * Flowers (9.9%AA) 85.8 grams = 3.026 ounces at 7 mins

* = represents flame out hops calculated at 7 mins boil time at a 15 mins hop stand for approximately a 6% utilization rate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 09 Nov 2016, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #111 made 7 years ago
I think it looks pretty good.

Only thing I would do different, reduce target pH to 5.2 (with acid or acid malt, the brewing salts look perfect) to really capitalize on the water profile's goal to aid perception of bitterness. FWIW, Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker gave this advice for how his pale ale/IPA's are brewed (over twitter). Like you, he also uses RO with gypsum, CaCl and a little bit of acid only to build his pale ale water (which I am yet to do). Guy is my hero, but he doesn't have to be yours .. heh.

I've been brewing better beer ever since I dropped my pale ale/IPA pH target, IMO (but who knows really). Looks like you have the malt bill to support a beer that can be dry with decent body, so I'd go for it personally.

Re:

Post #112 made 7 years ago
Rick wrote:...
On deck is;

- 10G VIF of 1.077 OG black rye imperial IPA (think FSW Wookie Jack).
- 11G VIF of my town famous 1.06 OG porter. Seriously, I don't even like porter that much and I seem to be making this every time. Folks around me really are connecting with it, so I will keep making it. The tweaks I made turned out as I had hoped, so there will be no changes to the proven recipe
Care to share a copy of your Porter recipe?  Thanks
Drink beer, ride bike, repeat til empty
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: Re:

Post #113 made 7 years ago
Wyoracer wrote:
On deck is;

- 11G VIF of my town famous 1.06 OG porter. Seriously, I don't even like porter that much and I seem to be making this every time. Folks around me really are connecting with it, so I will keep making it. The tweaks I made turned out as I had hoped, so there will be no changes to the proven recipe
Here ya go.
[table][tr][td][center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]Recipe Batch Number and Dates[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Recipe Overview[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brewer: Conestoga[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Style: Coconut Porter[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Source Recipe Link: [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ABV: 6.2% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Original Gravity (OG): 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]IBU's (Tinseth): 44.6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.72[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Colour: 79.2 EBC = 40.2 SRM[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 76.8 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 69.2 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: This is a FVV (Full Volume Variation Mash):  Sacharification[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Times and Temperatures[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash: 90 mins at 66.6 C = 154 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Boil: 60 min[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ferment: 10 days at 20 C = 68 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volumes & Gravities[/td][/tr]
[tr][td](Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total Water Needed (TWN): 63.02 L = 16.65 G[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Boil (VIB): 57.9 L = 15.3 G @ 1.051[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 46.22 L = 12.21 G @ 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 41.64 L = 11 G @ 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Packaging (VIP): 39.61 L = 10.46 G @ 1.015-1.018 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]59.3% GWestern PNW 2-Row (3.8 EBC = 1.9 SRM)   7415 grams = 16.35 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]14.5% WeyermannMunich II (22.5 EBC = 11.4 SRM)   1813 grams = 4 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]7.2% BriessCaraMun60L (158.6 EBC = 80.5 SRM)   900 grams = 1.98 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.6% BairdChocMalt (932.5 EBC = 473.4 SRM)   450 grams = 0.99 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.6% BlackPatent (1546 EBC = 784.8 SRM)   450 grams = 0.99 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]11.8% TraderJoe's Toasted Oats (1 EBC = 0.5 SRM)   1475 grams = 3.25 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]23.4 IBU Warrior Pellets (16.9%AA)  28 grams = 0.988 ounces at 60 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]18 IBU Warrior Pellets (16.9%AA)  28 grams = 0.988 ounces at 30 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.1 IBU Kent Golding Pellets (4.5%AA)  113 grams = 3.986 ounces at 3 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] (EKG hops added <175F for 30m hop stand. 3 minute documentation is for bitterness calculation only)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Steps[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Type: FVV (Full Volume Variation Mash):  Sacharification for 90 mins at 66.6 C = 154 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Water Held Back from Mash: 5.67 L = 1.5 G[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Strike Water Needed (SWN): 58.49 L = 15.45 G  at 70.9 C = 159.7 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mashout for 10 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Water Added After Final Lauter: 5.67 L = 1.5 G[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Miscellaneous Ingredients[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]339g  Bob's Red Mill  Coconut Flks  - aroma [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling & Hop Management Methods[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hopsock Used: Y[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling Method: Cube[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation & Conditioning[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation: WY1028 for 10 days at 20 C = 68 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Diacetyl Rest: 4 days  at 17 C = 62.6 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Secondary Used: Y[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Crash-Chilled: N[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Filtered: N[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Req. Volumes of CO2: 2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Serving Temp: 5 C = 41 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Condition for 14 days.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Consume within 12 months.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flakes, toasted @ 375F for roughly 10m, then blotted to remove fat. 2 weeks contact time in secondary.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]BIAB Variations[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]

Re: Re:

Post #114 made 7 years ago
Rick wrote:
Wyoracer wrote:
On deck is;

Here ya go.

I use Brun'water's Black Balanced profile, and target 5.4 mash pH.
[table][tr][td][center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][center]Recipe Batch Number and Dates[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Recipe Overview[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brewer: Conestoga[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Style: Coconut Porter[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Source Recipe Link: [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ABV: 6.2% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Original Gravity (OG): 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]IBU's (Tinseth): 44.6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.72[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Colour: 79.2 EBC = 40.2 SRM[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 76.8 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 69.2 %[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: This is a FVV (Full Volume Variation Mash):  Sacharification[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Times and Temperatures[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash: 90 mins at 66.6 C = 154 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Boil: 60 min[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ferment: 10 days at 20 C = 68 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volumes & Gravities[/td][/tr]
[tr][td](Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total Water Needed (TWN): 63.02 L = 16.65 G[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Boil (VIB): 57.9 L = 15.3 G @ 1.051[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 46.22 L = 12.21 G @ 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 41.64 L = 11 G @ 1.062[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Volume into Packaging (VIP): 39.61 L = 10.46 G @ 1.015-1.018 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]59.3% GWestern PNW 2-Row (3.8 EBC = 1.9 SRM)   7415 grams = 16.35 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]14.5% WeyermannMunich II (22.5 EBC = 11.4 SRM)   1813 grams = 4 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]7.2% BriessCaraMun60L (158.6 EBC = 80.5 SRM)   900 grams = 1.98 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.6% BairdChocMalt (932.5 EBC = 473.4 SRM)   450 grams = 0.99 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.6% BlackPatent (1546 EBC = 784.8 SRM)   450 grams = 0.99 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]11.8% TraderJoe's Toasted Oats (1 EBC = 0.5 SRM)   1475 grams = 3.25 pounds[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]23.4 IBU Warrior Pellets (16.9%AA)  28 grams = 0.988 ounces at 60 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]18 IBU Warrior Pellets (16.9%AA)  28 grams = 0.988 ounces at 30 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3.1 IBU Kent Golding Pellets (4.5%AA)  113 grams = 3.986 ounces at 3 mins[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] (EKG hops added <175F for 30m hop stand. 3 minute documentation is for bitterness calculation only)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Steps[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mash Type: FVV (Full Volume Variation Mash):  Sacharification for 90 mins at 66.6 C = 154 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Strike Water Needed (SWN): 58.49 L = 15.45 G  at 70.9 C = 159.7 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mashout for 10 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Miscellaneous Ingredients[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]339g  Bob's Red Mill  Coconut Flks  - aroma [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling & Hop Management Methods[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hopsock Used: Y[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chilling Method: Cube[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation & Conditioning[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fermentation: WY1028 for 10 days at 20 C = 68 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Diacetyl Rest: 4 days  at 17 C = 62.6 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Secondary Used: Y[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Crash-Chilled: N[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Filtered: N[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Req. Volumes of CO2: 2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Serving Temp: 5 C = 41 F[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Condition for 14 days.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Consume within 12 months.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flakes, toasted @ 375F for roughly 10m, then blotted to remove fat. 2 weeks contact time in secondary.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]BIAB Variations[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] [/td][/tr][/table]

Re: "Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon." Brew Log.

Post #115 made 7 years ago
I'm gearing up for another brew day very soon, probably within a month or so. The past 2 months have been very puppy-centric ... so no brewing for me at all. I have also been kayak shopping for an upcoming trip. Work travel before that as well. Hard to believe it has almost been 6 months since my last brew day.

I'll have lots of help, so I'm going to run 4 kettles ... all with a basic APA/IPA recipe. (It could be easily called either, but it fills the APA slot in my lineup).

Variations will be:

Base malts - 11G Maris Otter, 22G Golden Promise (two batches), 5.5G PNW 2-Row. (all VIF figures).

Hop Combinations will be something like ...

1. Mosaic/Citra
2. Mosaic/Calypso
3. Centennial/Chinook
4. 5.5G (haven't decided, probably whatever I have left from bulk buys)

Just a few small tweaks from last time. Even though everybody is screaming at me to never change this recipe again, I'm going to do it anyway. The balance of crystal/carapils is closer to what Ballast Point actually uses in their pales and IPA's. I just want to see how that compares, especially since it's really close to what I was using. I doubt anyone will be able to tell. The red wheat I dialed back down after bumping it a few percent last time around.
General 12.21G VAW/11G VIF recipe ...

Scrapper APA

1.055 OG/1.010-1.012 FG

PNW-2 Row, GoldProm or Maris Otter 83.9%
Briess C20 4.2%
Carapils 7.7%
Red Wheat 4.2%

149-152 F mash temp range
5.2pH target w/ Brunwater Pale Ale Profile

90m mash/60m boil

Warrior 60m 25 IBU's worth (Tinseth)
Warrior 30m 25 IBU
Mosaic 85g (30-45m post boil hop stand <174F)
Calypso 85g (30-45m post boil hop stand <174F)

Mosaic 141g (dry hop secondary 3-5 days)
Calypso 141g (dry hop secondary 3-5 days)

Rehydrated US05 @ 66F
Also, I've submitted my vittles vault fermenters into their original duty as dog food containers. I'm looking at the 15.9G Spiedel fermenters to replace them. They are more expensive, but they will be much easier to clean. The VV lid area wasn't the easiest to clean, and I have been lucky to have 0 infections in using them. The remaining/unused VV's will become catchers for my grain mill.
Last edited by Rick on 13 Mar 2017, 21:38, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Brew Day Stories and/or Pics”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests