Post #26 made 8 years ago
Well I do that, as well as something even more sacrilegious :shock:
I posted about it 4 years ago (reusing dry hops). I wont clutter this thread though.

I think where differences lie though is in hop format/types.
In the UK it was difficult to get pellet hops, it isn't now, but there is still more choice of leaf to pellets.
I have little to no experience of pellet hops but leaf hops hold a significant amount of wort/beer.
Last edited by mally on 25 May 2016, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #27 made 8 years ago
Mally, the is data(Everywhere) that show Pellets give about 10% more of Everything.

I have not checked BIABACUS for that, yet.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 8 years ago
Scott, I use the 5 gallon bags, about $1.00 to $1.50 each, that are the Size of a 5 gallon Bucket.

They are too coarse for Grains, but with wet Hops. work very well.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #29 made 8 years ago
I also use 5 gallon paint strainer bags for pellet hops. That works very well. I also squeeze that bag using two pot lids. I believe all the hop debris remains in the bag. Best practice. :dunno:

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Re: First Wort Hopping II

Post #30 made 7 years ago
not to bring up a dead subject

but what is the consensus on this? I mean does it do as claimed and give a smother bitter? do you still add late boil hops.
This is just to good of an idea to let drop and not figure it out.
Temperance is for those who cannot hold their liquor :drink: :drink:
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #31 made 7 years ago
Great question Jamato!

I've done First Wort Hopping a dozen or more times, and have made very good beers... But can I say, for certain, that it truly makes a difference, and it is better than almost identical beer made without FWH? Not sure. Would have to do side-by-side tests to be sure. Super easy to do FWH with BIAB.

Joshua loves it, and normally brews beer using FWH. And German breweries tested it vs making identical-ish beers without FWH for production of Pilsners. FWH beers were preferred...universally, if memory serves. So at a minimum, it should be the preferred process when making Pilsners...

Whenever I brew Pilsners I use FWH. Do on many other lagers as well. This is not a perfect answer, but is as good as you are likely to get.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #32 made 7 years ago
Scott, that is enough of an answer for me to do it.

I do many pilsners and lagers, I prefer lagers over ales and my favorite beer style is a Marzin/Vienna.

I am not saying I do not do ales, I do about half and half because there are many ale styles I like.

But reading about FWHing it appears the style would work great with light lagers, and for some reason heavy ales like Scotch ales. where the bitter needs to be really balanced
I was going do a continental lager this Saturday but I did not get to town for grain so I will try this out next Saturday. That gives me 7 weeks to get back and tell you what I have found.
Temperance is for those who cannot hold their liquor :drink: :drink:
    • MVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests