I'm brewing my second beer an american pale ale
this is the recipe,

Recipe Overview

Style: American Pale Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1,053
IBU's (Tinseth): 30
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0,57
Colour: 11,2 EBC = 5,7 SRM

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

83,3% Pale Malt Maris Otter (5,5 EBC = 2,8 SRM) 8319 grams = 18,34 pounds
11,1% Cara-Pils/Dextrine (4,5 EBC = 2,3 SRM) 1109 grams = 2,45 pounds
3,9% Wheat Malt (15 EBC = 7,6 SRM) 388 grams = 0,86 pounds
1,7% Crystal 60L (118,2 EBC = 60 SRM) 166 grams = 0,37 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

22,8 IBU Citra Flowers (12%AA) 39 grams = 1,376 ounces at 60 mins
4,4 IBU Centennial Flowers (9%AA) 27,9 grams = 0,983 ounces at 10 mins
2,7 IBU Cascade Flowers (5,5%AA) 27,9 grams = 0,983 ounces at 10 mins
0 IBU Centennial Flowers (9%AA) 27,9 grams = 0,983 ounces at 0 mins
0 IBU Cascade Flowers (5,5%AA) 27,9 grams = 0,983 ounces at 0 mins

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: Fermentis S-05 for 7 days at 18 C = 64,4 F
Diacetyl Rest: 7 days at 18 C = 64,4 F
Secondary Used: Y
Crash-Chilled: n
Filtered: n
Req. Volumes of CO2: 2,2
Serving Temp: 12 C = 53,6 F
Condition for 14 days.

I wiil brew 40l and I'l ferment in two fermentor.

I'd love to try a dry hopping in a fermentor
my plan is to put the hops in a secondary after one week and bottled one week later.

how is the best way to do the dry hopping? put the hops into a fermentos whitout hop sack or what kind of sack I have to use?
how many hop I have to use? :scratch:
Would be good
Citra Flowers (12%AA) 15 grams
Centennial Flowers (9%AA) 15 grams
Cascade Flowers (5,5%AA) 15 grams
or what combination and amount of this hops is better? :think:

Thanks for any suggestions! :peace:
Last edited by tota76 on 22 May 2014, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Its a good question tota, but it will all depend on what you are trying to achieve.
Obviously the more dry hops you put in, the greater the aroma & taste to some extent.
You have mentioned 3 different hop types as well, and each of these will add something a little different.

Are you looking for a little extra hop bite, or are you going for a big hop forward APA style?

For my hop forward beers I tend to dry hop with around 100g hop flowers in 22L.
I chop them up (liquidise/blend) into an almost powdery state, then put in a voile sock with some weights (stainless steel) so that it stays "under" the beer instead of floating on top. I tend to leave these for about a week as well.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
tota76,

You can just add hop pellets (loose) to the brew and let them sit for a week and then bottle or keg. The mess is negligible. You can add hop pellets to a sanitized hop sack and weigh them down with sanitized glass or SS marbles. You can also brew up a hop tea and pour that in? Lots of ways to achieve dry hopping.

Personally I just dump them in my primary (after) the fermentation is complete (two weeks?) unless I am reusing the yeast cake for another brew? In that case I use a hop sack for sure!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Eesh, a book could really be written on this. Mally is on the right track, though. We need to know what you want to accomplish.

I've been experimenting with this w/ every batch. One double batch (40L) of APA I split up into many vessels and tried many different dry hopping techniques. I didn't document anything really, I just wanted a general idea of the differences.

Headspace

Dry hopping in a secondary is what I prefer if I were to choose a single vessel. You can squeeze the hops to reclaim beer, and I also find that the yeasty odors/flavors diminish much faster.

I usually double dry hop in both primary and secondary though. Make sure you have the head space for using secondary. I use pellets, and they can crawl up and into your airlock quite easily if you just toss them in without using a bag.

Voile Bags

I've used weighted voile bags before, and did not like the results relative to just tossing them in "naked". In retrospect, my technique was not great. I should have used multiple bags with no more than 28g/1oz each. I double dry hopped with 56g/2oz (x2) per 21L fermenter in my latest APA ... and 2 of the 4 total bags remained somewhat stiff. I don't think it got completely saturated until it was time to remove it. I noticed a huge difference in the final product.

So I can't discount this as a proper option, but the voile bag technique seems like more trouble than it's worth considering I had better luck with an easier method.

Time

I generally keep the contact time at 3-5 days. I've experienced that "grassiness" that people speak of using a duration of 7-14 days. Pros for a longer contact time, is more aroma with less hops. The final product can be more harsh, and I found longer conditioning was needed to tame that. Hoppy beers are best enjoyed young, so my techniques and choice of secondary aim to get the beer in its prime as early as possible.

Cons for tossing the hops in naked: Larger doses are needed to achieve good aroma.

Amounts for preferred method:

APA - 6g per L *split into 2 doses
AIPA - 9g per L *split into 2 doses
DIPA -11g per L *split into 2 doses

Personal preferred method:

DH #1 - 1/2 amt of total dry hops the day after krausen falls, added to primary. 3-4 days contact time. Transfer to secondary.

DH #2 - remaining 1/2 amt of total dry hops added to secondary 4-5 days before packaging date.

I base this technique on knowledge given by Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker. Here are some links.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/multi-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ost4785573
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=668593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Last edited by Rick on 22 May 2014, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Nice piece Rick! It's nice to see someone actually doing some credible research! :salute:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #6 made 10 years ago
I do what I can .. ha. I'm actually looking to try the hop tea method you mentioned. I haven't tried anything like that yet.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Rick,

http://www.stempski.com/hop_vodka.php

Just in case you didn't see it?

March 1, 2012 - Hop Infused Vodka

Home brewer Bob Stempski shares his technique for infusing vodka with hops to explore different varieties and add some punch to homebrew and commercial beers.

Streaming mp3

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/c/e/d/ced108 ... e9dff977a7

http://hladvarp.is/hladvarp/gervarpid/ I did this to! It's in English after a short intro?
Last edited by BobBrews on 22 May 2014, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Yum. I do remember seeing that when I first signed up here, and I believe it's bookmarked for future use. I'm definitely trying that. Perhaps this could be an option for hopping in primary, without the beer loss.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Hi folks!
thanks for all answers! :clap:

mally: really I'm in a studying fase, I want to brew a good APA whit great aroma an taste but not necessarily too hoppy.

BB: I have only flowers, thats my first DH so I'm thinking to do a simple DH maybe whit a stainless steel sack to put the hop in the bottom of the fermentor, like mally says

rick: Thanks a lot for explain your DH experience, that is very usefull, I'd like too to do some experiment, I'll split up this batch in to fermentor one whit DH and the other without DH, for the next brews I will try different techniques, to feel the difference!

So,for I think to do a DH in the secondary with Citra 14,5%AA / Centennial 10,9%AA / Cascade 7,2%AA, 20g of each one in a 20L vassel.
that will be good?

bye

A.

Post #10 made 10 years ago
tota76,

Dry hopping with whole hops works just fine. I grow enough hops at my home to do a double IPA once a year. I do not let them set as long as pellets because I can't get all the bugs out of the hops and I worry about vegetative taste.

There are a lot of shows on Basic Brewing Radio about dry hopping. I think I did one last year? Maybe it was two years ago? Anyway. there are a lot of shows about hops, dry hoping and styles of hoping. Download them to you MP3 player and listen to them on your way to work or play!

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio
Last edited by BobBrews on 23 May 2014, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Re: Dry Hopping - How, What and How many?

Post #12 made 6 years ago
is there a theory as to the efficiency of hop sack vs free floating dry hops in the ability to add hop aroma oils to the beer? I am ready to dry hop an IPA and am waffling between the bag or no bag.

Also at day 5 if bagged is it a good thought to remove at say day 10 when planning on racking to bottles on day 14 (FG willing, of course)

cheers,

j
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Return to “Hopping”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests