Alberta

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Holy crap what an awesome forum for BIAB.
C'mon Canucks,where are you.Lets trade some local info re: supplies and the state of hockey in the frozen north.Maybe we could develop some recipes for some snowblower beer!
AWOL

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I just BIAB today in Edmonton! Did the swarzbier in the recipe section. Nice to see BIAB is catching on, eh?

I really preach this to my buddies, brewers and non-brewers because it's easy. And the proof is in the puddin when I pass them a bottle! :drink:

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Hey Squared,nice to here from you.Do you shop at all at Winning Wines South?The seemed to be gearing up in early april to start stocking more beer hardware and I was wondering if they have done anything?They had 1 Bichman kettle there and a few other things but were bragging about all the stuff they had on order but was getting stalled at the border.
Where are you getting your base malts from?
Last edited by Lylo on 08 Jun 2011, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
AWOL

Post #4 made 13 years ago
I get all my malts and most other equipment from The South Winning Wines. They sell sacks of base malt and they have a rather nice selection of specialty grains. I just bought a new mill from there, as well as a new bag of 2-row.

The gentleman Andrew is very nice and can try to assist you with aquiring any equipment by order. Also, they have regular Wyeast/Hops orders that you can inquire about.

Are you an Edmonton Homebrewers Guild (EHG.ca) member?

Post #5 made 13 years ago
Actually I have grown to like buying my stuff online,everything in 1 store,great seclection and it's at my door in 3 or 4 days.I just have to plan ahead a bit. I have been using http://www.hopdawgs.ca/ Chris is very helpful and has a good selection of everything beer related.(no wine stuff)
No I'm not a member of anything but (The Order of Sleepless Knights),I really can't see driving to meeetings in Edmonton or Calgary (Cowtown Yeast Wranglers)especially to talk about beer without actuallly being able to imbibe and taste what others are talking about.
Nice to hear from you and look forward to your presence on the forum.
Lyle
AWOL

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Squared wrote:I get all my malts and most other equipment from The South Winning Wines. They sell sacks of base malt and they have a rather nice selection of specialty grains. I just bought a new mill from there, as well as a new bag of 2-row.

The gentleman Andrew is very nice and can try to assist you with aquiring any equipment by order. Also, they have regular Wyeast/Hops orders that you can inquire about.

Interesting I hadn't heard of ehg.ca

Lylo: wouldn't getting stuff like grains shipped be expensive or do they have free shipping?
Last edited by NorthBrew on 08 Jun 2011, 10:20, edited 5 times in total.

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Yeah,shipping is a problem alright.I have been using Hop Dawg from Vernon BC.I am quite new to ag and BIAB(only 5 batches to date).The input I have been getting from this area is that a lot of guys are buying direct from Canadian Malting in Didsbury and picking it up.55lbs of domestic malt goes for about 30 dollars I think.
AWOL

Post #8 made 13 years ago
NorthBrew wrote:
Squared wrote:I get all my malts and most other equipment from The South Winning Wines. They sell sacks of base malt and they have a rather nice selection of specialty grains. I just bought a new mill from there, as well as a new bag of 2-row.

Interesting I hadn't heard of ehg.ca

Lylo: wouldn't getting stuff like grains shipped be expensive or do they have free shipping?
If your closer to calgary, they have Cowtown Yeast Wranglers club.
Are you from Edmonton/area? If so, I've sourced equipment and products from around town and I can assist you with a lot of the obscure items needed, (cheapest voile, burners, mash paddles, kettles, grains as mentioned,etc.)
I basically walk around hardware stores and markets on my days off looking at innovative and cheap ways for brewing without the mess/hastle/cost of shipping. Just made a wort chiller for about 80 bucks. Still inquiring about getting rhizomes for next season to start growing hops though...most people look at me sideways when I ask at greenhouses, lol

About to make a keezer, just sourcing equipment- kijiji for example has fridges/freezers basicallly for free!
Last edited by Squared on 09 Jun 2011, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.

Post #9 made 13 years ago
Keep a sharp eye out for corny's.I have found 4 so far on 2 kijiji sales in Calgary.Looking for 2 more.I just made an order from the Didsbury plant.I am in a position to have it freighted to me very cheaply.
Most of the greenhouses around Red Deer have hops.I now have 4 clusters growning on my fence as a privacy shield.Might try brewing with them this fall.
AWOL

Post #12 made 13 years ago
They do small orders,although small is a minimumm 55lb bag.They suggest you fill your specialty needs at the Winning Wines store you mentioned.They supply them with malts too.I paid I think around 24 dollars for 55 lb bags. of domestic pale and maris otter.Go to http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/ and scroll down to the map.Select Calgary and click on the dowmload sales book button on the left and enter password greatmaltcal to download the price list.If you email Allison she will send you what you need to setup an acct.Good luck
AWOL

Post #13 made 13 years ago
Yeah, I guess I'll just stick to the shop, it appears their mark up isn't that bad- the 2 row bag was I think 35-38 dollar range last time I bought which will still supply PLENTY of brews, hehe. Besides, I'd burn up the savings in gas if I was to go direct to Didsbury anyways...

Post #15 made 10 years ago
Add another from Alberta. Lylo I think I'm pretty close to where you live. Have you found any good places to buy supplies/ingredients?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #17 made 10 years ago
Well I'm reasonably sure you're in Lacombe, judging by the website in your profile. I'm about 20 minutes from there.

I've been really eyeing up hopdawgs but doubling the cost of anything for shipping just doesn't seem very good. The quality and selection in Red Deer doesn't seem that great, which is too bad...

Anyways I'm pretty new to the AG/BIAB thing, just did my first brew a couple weeks ago and I'm really itching to start another one. I've been making beer and wine kits for a couple years.

I was able to get a 55lb bag of 2 row from the malt plant in Alix for $30. Quality of it seems pretty good too. So I'm set for base malt, its just finding everything else.

Post #18 made 10 years ago
Will you guys stop sending the cold weather to the States! I want to brew an the temperatures are to cold for a old and feeble (minded) oldman such as me! Cheers! but keep it there please! :lol:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #19 made 10 years ago
I dunno Bob. This is about the nicest January I can ever remember having. It was above 0 (when water thaws/freezes :P ) most of last week.

Post #20 made 10 years ago
Jasontb,

All I know is that today's high is going to be about -10F (-23.3C) and tonight it will be -25F (-31.67C) That is without windchill. With windchill it will be approaching (or exceeding) -45F (-42.78C). All this is coming from Canada! I am holding all the Canuck's on this site responsible! :lol:

But... in retrospect. :think: I have had great results brewing lagers this year because I can ferment lager beer in just about any room in the house! I also have made Eisenbock and Applejack by freezing the lager beer and cider. So thanks for the cold weather! You guys aren't so bad after all :salute:

I guess the antifreeze in my veins speaks volumes as too the potency of the weather and my beers? :drink:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #21 made 10 years ago
I just thought I would let you know that the weather is getting better so I won't be so crabby.
'Custer Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for WI 54423'.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 28 Jan 2014, 21:52, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #22 made 10 years ago
Eisenboch sounds like a fun idea. I might have to try that before it gets too warm.

I'm planning to brew on my patio on Saturday. The high for the day is supposedly 17, which should make maintaining the mash temp interesting. Maybe I'll make a slightly larger batch so I can Eisen some of it. :think:

Post #23 made 10 years ago
Good luck! The Apple jack worked well too. If you buy apple concentrate without sorbates or preservatives you can make a decent cider too. I froze it twice and made a nice but potent sipper. You can find a lot of cider from juice on YouTube. If your interested? The "big Secue" is fun to watch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46qPqNirAQ

Cheers and have a great weekend. It's the Super bowl week end so I will be eating and drinking big time. I may brew Thursday if it get above 0F degrees?
Last edited by BobBrews on 29 Jan 2014, 01:51, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #24 made 10 years ago
Well Bob, I brewed 46 litres of what was supposed to be a Irish Strong Ale. My OG was 1068 though so I think I fell a little short of what the style calls for. All well.

I took about 20 litres of that and eised (iced?) it down to about 10 litres. Its pretty tasty already. I'm going to let it age for a while then I'll bottle everything up.

Return to “Canada”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests