pH meters

Post #1 made 13 years ago
G'day everyone,
I'm looking into getting a pH meter while the Aussie dollar is good, and was wanting advice on whether or not to get a meter with auto temp comp? I'm looking at either the Hanna 98107 or 98108(with atc).
I noticed that the one with atc only has a range to 50 deg C, so I assume you would have to collect some wort and cool to test.
I hope some of you will be able to chime in with some of your experiences with either type of meter.
Cheers :salute:
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I can't help you Wiz, sorry.

I'm a very simple brewer, I've read heaps and listened a lot. For me what makes beers different is where they are brewed and who brews them.

The beers from places like Pilsen, Burton on Trent and Dublin are unique because of the local water. I figure even if we try to replicate the water profile for a specific beer, it will still be different because the original (our) water is different.

So I brew my beers with my water with no adjustments to ph or salts and minerals. This means my beers are unique to me and my brewery. They are probably nowhere near style, but they are my beers and I like them.

Sorry for the tangent, but I don't use a ph meter, strips or even iodine for starch conversion. I just allow the malt and hops to do their thing.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #3 made 13 years ago
wizard78 wrote:G'day everyone,
I'm looking into getting a pH meter while the Aussie dollar is good, and was wanting advice on whether or not to get a meter with auto temp comp? I'm looking at either the Hanna 98107 or 98108(with atc).
I noticed that the one with atc only has a range to 50 deg C, so I assume you would have to collect some wort and cool to test.
I hope some of you will be able to chime in with some of your experiences with either type of meter.
Cheers :salute:
I would suggest from experience with both these type of meters purchase the ATC model.I know the HI 98127 has a range to 60c, so I would check your specs on that.
Whilst you can take your pH at mash temps etc you will find it will shorten the life of the probe bulb so I would suggest that you cool your sample to 20c before taking measurements.
Hanna make good quality affordable lab gear so I think which ever way you go you will get a good meter.
Cheers pHman
Last edited by pHman on 30 Dec 2010, 08:38, edited 5 times in total.
WWW.gryphonbrewing.com.au

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Wiz, I'd go the ATC. I'm not experienced with many of the Hannas but they're common enough for them not to be complete crap, plus they should be cheap enough for home use. Get plenty of pH calibration standards if you are expecting to use it often, 4.0 and 7.0 would be good for a brewer. It will probably need two- point calibration, but most of the time you may be able to get away with just verification of the calibration with one of the standards.
I'd be cooling wort to test it, if you can leave the sensor in the solution for some time before measuring, allow temperature to equilibrate. One big source of error can be taking a cool sensor and putting it in a warm solution and reading it straight away. We use constant temperature rooms for some things at my work, they're great for having everything at the same temperature and avoiding that sort of problem, obviously that's not going to happen in the domestic setting but you get what I mean.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #5 made 13 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys, look like I'll go for one with atc. :thumbs:
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Return to “Brewing Water”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests