Method and timing of adjustments for FVM

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hello
I'm having a bit of trouble finding explicit instructions on when and how to add your water adjustments. Even 'How to brew' and the Bru'n water knowledge don't spell this out.

From watching videos and random snippets I've read i think the following is the right approach but I'd appreciate confirmation or a steer in the right direction from any that know for sure.

1 add your Camden tablet to kettle
2 fill kettle to SWN level and add your acid addition e.g. Phosphoric
3 commence heating to mash temp and immediately stir in your mineral additions eg Gypsum, Epsom salts, Calcium chloride, etc. Try to get them dissolved
4 add your bag
5 at mash temp commence brewing as normal i.e. dough in
6 optional after 10 mins take sample of liquid, cool it and check pH

Please note, I know not every brew would have any/ all of the above additions; for the purpose of the topic please assume it does and answer accordingly.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Inconceivable, one other Thing.

The Campden tabs need 20-30 minutes to remove Chlorine, Faster if Crushed, Finely.

Add any other salts/minerals as it starts heating to Dough in temperature, it Take Time to Disolve!!

As the Grains heat thru 121F to 130F the PH of the Mash will drop 1.0 ph to 1.5 ph (in step mashing, it is Acid Rest).

So check the Ph of the mash, a few minutes after Dough in, before adjusting it to 5.5ph.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
@Joshua so your saying don't use the acid until you know the mash ph then use acid if necessary to drop it and measure again to confirm acid worked?
Cheers
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 8 years ago
joshua wrote:Inconceivable, one other Thing.

The Campden tabs need 20-30 minutes to remove Chlorine, Faster if Crushed, Finely.

Add any other salts/minerals as it starts heating to Dough in temperature, it Take Time to Disolve!!

As the Grains heat thru 121F to 130F the PH of the Mash will drop 1.0 ph to 1.5 ph (in step mashing, it is Acid Rest).

So check the Ph of the mash, a few minutes after Dough in, before adjusting it to 5.5ph.

This, and brewing salts such as gypsum are actually more soluble in cold water.
Last edited by Rick on 29 Oct 2015, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Brewing Water”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests