Re: Western Australian BIABrewers and Events

Post #176 made 6 years ago
For me, Lukas gets first place on the tastings (Brown IPA), sinkas and Lukas get second place (mulberry Belgian Trippel and Oatmeal Stout). Third place probably a red IPA that Sarah and I brewed.

Brown IPA: 300 grams /  of whirlpool hops and then another 3000 grams of dry hops :) in... :think: Well, I'm trying to work out what volume Lukas had? It was a "normal size batch" so let's assume 23L at flame-out. With those amount of hops, he probably got 18L into fermenter and 13L into the keg :lol:

Mulberry Belgian Trippel: I'm not into Belgians but this brew of sinkas, I certainly find enjoyable. The sweetness of the mulberries balanced out the phenolics (which I don't like) of the style. (I think I'm write in saying Belgian is a phenolic style?)

Oatmeal Stout: Another style I'm not that into but I enjoyed this one because it had lots to explore - silkiness, molasses, coffee etc.

Red IPA: Well, given the fact we used 500 grams less hops than Lukas :lol:, this beer is not bad. Definitely not a show winner as it won't stand out at all. It's very easy-drinking though, a bit of toffee sweetness which balances the hops. I better get sinkas to taste it as that toffee sweetness might actually be diacetyl and he's the king of diacetyl detection :)

[center]Next Event[/center]

This Friday, 6pm at The Queens in Beaufort Street, Mount Lawley.

If anyone wants to share an Uber in and back with Sarah and me, let me know.

:salute:
Pat
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Jun 2017, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #177 made 6 years ago
haha a nice little catch up during the week for couple hrs tasting beers!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my Brown IPA as I personally was a bit iffy on it and somewhat expected more considering the amount of hops :)
Pat I will correct your error , 300g of dry not 3000g :argh: :lol: . Yes flame out was roughly 23l and I definitely didn't get a full 19l keg fill LOL

I think the Oatmeal Stout will get bit better with age as it only just when into the keg and not even carbed yet but yes I must investigate my temp gauge for more accurate mash temp to get more body!

I did like the nice malty backbone of your Red IPA and for sure is an easy drinker , just needs bit more hop aroma :thumbs:

Cases Mulberry Belgian was pretty nice for a style I don't really go for but the Mulberries were a nice touch.

Bring on 1st July :drink:

Post #178 made 6 years ago
Lukas: Received your recipe for your Brown IPA via email today. Thanks mate ;)

Also delivered everyone's show entries, except for yours. It was just too niuce to be wasted on judges so I drank them instead. Thank you :salute:

Everyone Else: This year's exhibitor tasting (next Sat, 1st July, 12-5pm) is in a totally different part of the showground. In fact, it's basically on the complete opposite side so don't come in the usual entrance, use Gate 10 (first gate on Ashton Ave from railway line). The Centenary Pavillion is a few hundred yards from the gate.

Fun Fact: The Centenary Pavillion is adjacent to the Campbell Pavillion which is one of the places I used to show people how to walk on hot coals about 20 years ago. I still have occasional 'nightmares' (seriously) of forgetting to order the wood or there being a total fire ban. Luckily, neither of those things ever happened.

:)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #182 made 5 years ago
Hi West Aussies.

I am a new brewer back after 18 month hiatus. I’ve added a fermentasaurus and temp controlledfermentation fridge to the brewery, and have knocked out 4 or 5 TWOC fresh wort kits in the past few months. Then the bug bit again and I bought a Big W 19L pot and blue Bunnings 10L cube this weekend to make a few small trial batches.

This thread has been very quiet of late. Is anyone organising any get togethers or catchups ? I live in warwick and would love help with a tried and trusted recipe to christen my new pot with.

I am into red ales atm. Or stout.
Last edited by JayP on 17 Jun 2018, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #183 made 5 years ago
[WA Readers: Note The Royal Perth Beer Show 2018 thread. There's usually a spare ticket or two floating around to the Exhibitors Tasting so post there if you want one.]

Morning JayP and great to see you back into it :salute:

This thread has been quiet and we are due for a brew day. Might have to organise one for the start of the sunny season.

As for your brew, maybe post up what commercial examples of red ales or stouts you really like and then we can hone down a recipe for you. I know East Freo's a bit of a gallop from you however, lukasfab is dropping in later in the week during the evening to taste some beers so, if you can make it, you are most welcome. Not sure what evening though yet. He's great on the stouts too so could be worth the trip. If not, once w have more info, either someone here will help you out or I can (possibly over the phone as you are local).

First thing though is to list the commercial examples for us.

:peace:
PP

Post #185 made 5 years ago
Haven't had the first two but I see I can get them so will do so on Wed. As for the other two, yum!!!

Next questions are:
1. Will your Home Brew Shop weigh and crush for you? (i.e. can your order say 1835 grams of Malt A, 645 grams of Malt B etc)
2. What size packs does your HBS sell their hops in or do you have any in stock that isn't old in your freezer?
3. Is your Home Brew Shop close or will you be getting everything posted to you?
4. How often do you think you'll be brewing over the next few months?

Small batch sizes pose a few logistical problems so knowing the above will help make the right plan ;)

Post #186 made 5 years ago
Reading this article makes me think I’m after an american style red ale, as opposed to an Irish.

https://craftypint.com/news/699/Drinkin ... d_Red_Ales

As for the questions - I’d say I go thru 5L a week (is that bad ) at the moment. Im aiming to BIAB some 10 L batches so probably would Brew 2x a month. I don’t want to store a ton of crushed grain if possible - I’d rather order what I need for a particular brew.

I also don’t have a Keezer or any long term storage - I consume straight from the Fermentasaurus typically (I use the presssure lid) and transfer the final 10L from the ‘Saurus our to a 10L keg which has its own bar Fridge. This frees up the fermenter to go again whilst keeping 2 weeks supply cold and ready to go.

I’ve been shopping at TWOC Bibra Lake but have Beverage HQ right around the corner in Balcatta. I’m expecting that either will supply crushed grain in various capacities on request. Hops I would just buy what I need for the recipe.

If it matters I intend to no chill and could store fresh wort in a cube for a period of time. I don’t think I’d be brewing weekly with family commitments however. Fortnightly is possibly.

Initially I’d just want to buy enough grain for 1-2 batches.
Last edited by JayP on 18 Jun 2018, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post #187 made 5 years ago
Yep, the style names can be very confusing. The commercial examples you've given are definitely American.

The issue I'm trying to get my head around is it sounds like you've been doing Fresh Wort Kits in your Fermentasaurus and that's fine because FWK's are "standard" size batches - about 22L / 5.5gal Volume into Fermenter (VIF). Now you'll be brewing with a 19L / 5 gal pot, you're going to be getting a lot less VIF - about half that of your Fresh Wort Kit, maybe even less. There are ways of getting more but they are clumsy and require more vessels, time etc. You also said you want to experiment with small batches so let's stick to that.

What I'm thinking on is how to manage your ingredients. This is more difficult on small batches. For example, you'll only use half a packet of yeast on the brews I think we'll be aiming at. This means the other half goes to waste unless you brew another batch the next day or have some way of vacuum sealing. You can however harvest and wash yeast and it will store very well in your fridge. Hops can also be stored quite successfully given the right packaging and handling. Crushed grain can also be stored (in our climate) fairly successfully, once again given the right packaging.

So, Jay, my concern is not so much in finding you some great recipes - that'll be easy - my worries are: ensuring you know what ingredient resources you have available to you (TWOC is quite a drive from your place and you don't want to be spending an hour in travel or paying courier fees for every 10 L batch!) and knowing what storage capabilities (and knowledge) you have. Do you have a lot of tupperware? :) (I'm serious about that. I have heaps!)

So, what I'm thinking is if you can decide on what you'd like to brew for say your next three batches, then we can make a plan of what ingredients to buy, the order to brew the beers in and how to manage the ingredients between brews. If the shop around the corner will crush a small mixed grain bill for you, then that only leaves hops and yeast to manage. Dried yeast is about $5 a packet and you might be happy to throw the unused portion in the bin or you might prefer to wash and re-use it.

The grain is the main issue and you'll need to phone the shop to find answers to the following:

1. If they are just around the corner, are they happy to crush small mixed bills?
2. If they are not, then who will and how far away are they or what are their delivery costs?
3. Some shops can vacuum small crushed malt bills. In other words, you could order three crushed bills and have them delivered to you vacuum-sealed for the same delivery charge as a single small malt bill. (I used to get that done on the east coast but have never investigated it since coming back here so you might have to ring around a bit.)

So, check that out. After that, you might come back here and say, okay, I want my next three brews to be an American Red Ale, an Imperial Red Ale and a Stout. Or you might just say, I just want to brew an American Red and I want to brew it now!!! :)

I've probably got all you need here if you want to do the latter... Remember above I mentioned Lukas (and probably Case) are dropping in later this week for a tasting and you were welcome? If you have the right tupperware and bring some nice beers, we could design your beer on the spot and send you home with all you need. And you'd get to taste our show beers. (Bring your hydrometer/s and thermometer/s too so as you can check their accuracy.) It doesn't get much better than that :shock:

Only problem with that offer is that I have no idea at this stage what evening [mention]lukasfab[/mention] has in mind :scratch:

Anyway, that's some stuff for you to investigate tomorrow.

:salute:
PP

Post #188 made 5 years ago
SO my closest HB shop (Balcatta) has confirmed he’ll crush small grain bills for me as long as it’s “a couple of kilos” in total.

I reckon we go for a mid strength Amber ( aka “Rogers”), an Imperial Red and a strongish Pale ( Nail VPA? ). This should mean I order a reasonable quantity of pale malt (Maris Otter ?) which keeps the shop happy, with smaller sides of crystal and whatever else I need.

Hops would include azacca, galaxy and el dorado. Assuming these are readily available, they should work in both a red ale and a pale ale, I hope.

How does that sound ? Happy to buy whatever Tupperware is required to store the remaining grains.

Post #189 made 5 years ago
That's good news! And, I really like your choice of styles. It has my brain ticking over already with a few ideas - one of them is something I've never thought of before and could be another world-first :champ: (should you choose to accept this mission etc, etc :) ).

Have just finished writing a post that took three hours (I seem to be back to my old bad habits). Enjoyable as that was, as mentioned in my PM I only just realised that you'll be coming to my place this weekend, not the one after, so my plan to work on your recipes in this thread isn't going to work :idiot:

What I'll Do

My next few days are full however I'll ponder a broad plan and probably email a few people re what I'm thinking including @lukasfab who'll be dropping in his show beers.

What You Can Do

1. Remember to bring your hydrometer/s and thermometer/s.
2. Do as much research as possible on the three beers/styles you mentioned.

That three hour post I just finished reminded me of when I was brewing a saison for the first time. In addition to asking for advice here, I researched and copied and pasted a whole lot of info into a single file. So, you'll need to do the same. You'll want to be looking for style descriptions, blogs, magazine articles, clone recipes etc that will give you either hints or actual info on ABV's, malts, hops, yeasts used etc, etc. A lot of info you come across will be contradictory but that exercise will be of great value to you. When you do come over with your info (or email it to me before) we'll check it against some other sources I have here and come up with a solid plan.

See you Sunday :salute:

Post #190 made 5 years ago
Stove Top Stout

Thought i'd share a small update with everyone. I had yesterday off work and managed to complete my first no chill brew.

I decided to do a stout because 1) its cold and crappy weather and 2) its simple.

I had the following new toys : refractometer, ball-lock installed on 19L Big W pot, digital thermometer with hi/low temp alarms & pot mount.

Biabacus entries were minimal :

Pot diameter 30.5, height 26, OG 1050, 11L VIF, 4L withheld and added before boil. It told me i needed a total of 2.85kg of grain. I asked my local HBS for a recipe for 2.85kg for " a 5% stout" and he suggested the following.

2.6kg Maris Otter
0.2 Choc malt
0.2 roasted barley
0.1 crystal
0.1 flaked oats
----
3.2kg in total. (+350 grams)

50g Fuggles. (10g @ 60 min, 10 @ 20min, 20@ 0)

(He suggested that the choc / barley/ crystal wouldn't necessarily ferment out and contribute to ABV, and as such recommended increasing the Maris Otter as insurance)

Mashed in with 14L at about 70 degrees - took the lazy option and basically dunked my prefilled grain bag into the pot like a teabag. Gave it a quick stir (pretty loose mash), covered with foil and noted the temp - 67.2. Set a low alarm of 66 and a hi alarm of 68 and wacked the kettle in a preheated-but-turned-off 65 degree oven. Didn't touch it for the next 90 min & went for a snooze. At the end of the mash, the mash temp was 66.2. Total brewing time spent <15 minutes at this stage. Pulled the bag, drained , squeezed and took a gravity reading (about 1040).

Added the required 4 L water that was withheld and brought it up for a 60 min boil. Set thermometer alarm at 98 and walked away to watch tv in next room until it was about to boil, which i wanted to supervise. 20 min in (decided to allow +20 min for hop additions as no chilling) added my 60 min hop addition, and then proceed to boil for the remainder of the hour. At 60 min took another gravity reading (1050) but decided to keep boiling for another 10 min or so as i felt i still had excess volume in the pot. Tape measure showed I was above the indicative height/depth increments on the Biabacus at this time and preferred the additional OG as opposed to just tipping the excess. At around 70 min total boil i was at 1053, actual volume unknown (it was 18cm, my guess is 13 ish litres).

Gave my new blue Bunnings 10L cube a rinse with Pink cleaner and filled from the newly installed ball lock on the pot. I then added the remaining 30g hops directly the cube. I appreciated how safe the ball lock makes transferring hot liquid (in bare feet) around the kitchen. Filled the cube - bulging everywhere - geez i hope it holds - and measured the remaining trub to be 1.2L so i guess the cube took nearly 12L. I will weigh it when cold to see.

All in all an easy , no stress brew day with minimal clean up (1x 19L pot) and some fresh wort.

TO DO : I didn't think my volumes and suggested kettle fill heights matched. It seemed to me i had too much volume at the end of the boil, but looking back at the Biabacus its more generous than expected in terms of KFL, and i was aiming for a specific volume of hot wort not ambient. Thats about 2L difference right there.

Finished product (tasting epic)
21BF0153-AD13-4308-A275-77A7DCA4F67C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JayP on 03 Aug 2018, 17:19, edited 10 times in total.

Post #191 made 5 years ago
[Reminder: Royal Perth Beer Show Toasting coming up on 14th July :) ]

Good to hear your day went smoothly James :salute:

Sorry we never got a chance to do some BIABacus education when you dropped in. My place is slowly getting back in order now though.

Make sure you read the Clear Brewing Terminology thread as phrases like, "to make 11 L of wort," can mean anything. Just because you are not fast chilling doesn't mean you need to change your hop addition time. Search here for "Chilling Myths - Asking the Right Questions."

Not sure if we spoke on ball-valves when you dropped in but you need to keep a close eye on them. Search for "nostril test," here will bring up some goodies. Also remember 90 minute boil advise as it is necessary in some scenarios.

On the OG side, the BIABacus said to buy 2.85kg of grain but your HBS told you to buy more than that. Two things need mentioning here. On a brew like that, you should be getting more than what you need working from BIABacus defaults. In other words, 2.85kg of grain should have been more than enough. Secondly, no one can predict your OG unless they know a number of factors, one important one being evaporation rate which varies from day to day.

The only numbers we really have to work off are, "1.053 at around 12.5 L." Let's say the 12.5 L was at flame-out. When cooled it will shrink by 4% so we get 12L. What this is telling me is what you extracted from your grain was less than what it should have been. With 3.2 kg of grain you should have been able to get more like 12 L of Ambient Wort @ 1.060.

So, what we are seeing here is "sugar" in the grain not being extracted as efficiently as it could have been.

This is no big deal atm but it is important to understand it.

We'll talk more at the show tasting ;)
Pat

P.S. Also search here for the phrase, "kissed on the bum by an angel."

Post #193 made 5 years ago
Just finished my next brew - literally its just been whirlpooled on the stove and is 92 degrees right now. After trying the new Innate Pale Ale on Friday i thought id try something similar. I based my recipe on this one : https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... y-pale-ale

Stove Top Juicy Pale Ale (11 Ltr VIF)

OG 1060, 90 min Mash & Boil

2300g Maris Otter
700g Munich
230 Biscuit
230 Wheat
230 Flaked Wheat
------
3690g

50g Citra (15@ 60, 15@ 30, 10@10, 10 cube)
50g Cascade (All cube hopped)

The brew went by the numbers and im pleased. The main change in my process was not to measure out my strike water using my 2L jug but to trust the Biabacus and go by kettle fill height using a tape measure. From there everything fell into place and i ended up with OG and VFO bang on where i wanted. This is my 7th BIAB attempt, no's 2 - 5 were write offs for different reasons, but its nice to get 2 good ones in a row.
Last edited by JayP on 08 Jul 2018, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.

Post #194 made 5 years ago
The Juicy Pale (above) has been transferred to a keg to chill and clear up properly It’s super bitter atm - not quite what I expected but it had 60g hops added to the cube and then 85-90 degree wort added for no chill so maybe it was a bit overdone. . It’s not bad- just not what I expected. FG is just under 1010 so it must be around 6.5%. Maybe after week kept really cold it will improve. Or after 6 of them. We will see
B53AA9B6-186A-48BE-9C20-04FD67E979B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #195 made 5 years ago
[I think we've wandered off-topic a fair bit as we're really talking recipes now. I'm not sure though where the posts should be moved to as we've gone from stouts to NEIPA's :scratch: :) ]

Saw your post from 4 weeks ago and kept meaning to ask you about it. I meant to ask you to post up your BIABacus file too as it makes it easier to "see." (Basically, I can change one number and then see what your batch would look like if I was brewing a "normal batch size" of it.) I can't remember what Innate's Pale Ale tastes like but they make excellent beer.

What I've done in my head though is doubled everything so I can picture a brew of 22 litres into fermenter. A few things threw me. The ingredients, for me at least, don't match the title of a "Juicy Pale Ale." Juicy implies a NEIPA type of ale and you'd want oats and a higher percentage of wheats for that. The biscuit and Munich aren't needed either for a NEIPA.

Another thing that stands out is the 30 minute hop addition. For me, 30 minute additions are "no-mans" land. You'll get very little, if any flavour from them so you need to ask yourself what is the purpose of that addition? If you want bitterness then add less, earlier. If you want flavour, add it later.

As mentioned above, I can't remember what Innate's Pale Ale tastes like but if it is a "juicy" pale ale, then I'd change the hop schedule dramatically so as to get more bang for your buck. You have 100 grams of hops to play with and, on a batch that size, that's lots to play with. I'd probably go something like 10 grams at 5 mins, 30 grams at the bottom of your cube and run your hot wort on to that. Then 30 grams just after high krausen and your last 30 grams after ferment is completed and you start your crash chill (assuming you can do a crash chill???)

You mentioned it's tasting pretty bitter atm. It should balance out somewhat but this might take 4 weeks. And if it remains bitter, don't be scared to blend it with a less bitter beer you may have brewed or will brew.

The main things on recipes are to be clear on what you want and then get a recipe from someone you trust or do lots of research. Very few recipes you stumble across on the net are of high quality. Thousands upon thousands are uploaded before the publisher/uploader has even brewed the recipe themselves. And, when you do stumble across a recipe that is well thought out, they're often published in a form that is vague or very difficult to translate.

There's two good threads on this site to check your recipe over before you brew it. They are...
Does this recipe have integrity? Can I copy it?
Use this thread to convert recipes to suit your equipment...

After saying/writing all that, I can see no reason why the beer you've brewed, while it may not be what you expected, won't be very tasty. Save a bit for me if you can. I'd certainly like to try it.

:thumbs:
Pat

Post #196 made 5 years ago
Hi Pat,

thanks again for the info. I decided to tip that Pale ale because it tasted like sh*t and i wanted the keg space for my next beer. Couldnt wait 4 weeks to see if it improved. Ive found another recipe to try on MadFermentationists's blog. I will do up a BIABACUS file and post if for comments and a second opinion.

https://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.ph ... 01#p60701
My Berliner sour is fermenting nicely atm.
Last edited by JayP on 08 Aug 2018, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests