BIAB Recipes Forum, Title Very Misleading

Post #1 made 10 years ago
If you go to the BIAB Recipes, it reads under the title, "Share your favorite recipes here". If you go to that forum basically all you get are problems others are having with their process. Yes there are a couple of threads with recipes, but over 90% are issues with BIAB. If the title of that forum reads, BIAB Recipes, it should be just that.
My rant is over.
http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=7

Post #2 made 10 years ago
PackerFan wrote:If you go to the BIAB Recipes, it reads under the title, "Share your favorite recipes here". If you go to that forum basically all you get are problems others are having with their process. Yes there are a couple of threads with recipes, but over 90% are issues with BIAB. If the title of that forum reads, BIAB Recipes, it should be just that.
My rant is over.
viewforum.php?f=7
That's a very lazy post fella :). You say, "90%"? Interesting :interesting:. But, I'll let that and the other laziness be.

If you were able to see behind the scenes here PackerFan, you would see a draft of a whole new forum structure that has to try and solve about a hundred problems, including the one you mentioned above. I think those of us working behind the scenes and who spend ages answering questions on forum are pretty cluey as to what works and what doesn't work here. In fact, we are pretty cluey to many day to day practical, technical brewing problems that you won't see addressed anywhere else.

What we did when we set up the forum is wrote specific instructions in each forum as to how to use it. For example, the forum you linked gave instructions on even how to word your topic title. Did people do that? No. Does it need to be done? Yes. So, if we ever get time to put in the new forum structure, we'll need a few people like you to supervise certain areas. You will have to write to people and say, "Please read this post and re-word your topic appropriately in future. In the meantime I have done it for you."

Do you have time to do that for us? If so, that would be great and you could start now. If not, then you'll have to appreciate that this site is pretty good in many ways and in the ways it isn't, we need other people to actively contribute their time or at least show some moral support by offering a time (answering questions) or financial donation. Fair enough?

Btw, there's about another 5 layers of problems with that forum that we have seen but you haven't mentioned. We have seen them and solved most of them and some we haven't. For example....

If you want high integrity recipes, what you could also do is read this thread of around 1700 posts where we have turned crappy recipes into high integrity ones. In the second post of that thread, it asks people to show their thanks by publishing their recipe in the BIAB Recipes forum. Does that ever happen? No. Why not? Because brewers are very enthusiastic when they are starting out and often will miss details like that.

Here we want to try and come up with a way where people will be consciously reminded to do the right thing. We have the basics of that system but still have to work out final details which we can't do until we can find someone who can help us program it into this phpBB site. Can you help us with that?

I think what this site currently needs is members to say thanks to those who help them in a thread, or answer some questions and/or make a donation. If you have done just one of those things PackerFan, then good on you. Have you even said thanks once here PF? (You did once but that was just one single word, "Thanks.") Most of your posts were actually demands for information such as your one sentence post, "Link me to BIABacus." Deary me :roll:)

There's a thing called humility that goes a long way. Humility comes from a Latin word meaning, 'grounded' or, 'of the earth'. You'll find the active posters here, all to be, 'down to earth.' There's a beauty about their posts, none of the harshness or arrogance you too often find elsewhere.

I not only write here on-forum but also correspond with some BIABrewers behind the scenes. Most of this is laborious stuff that a few of us work at (and it can take many hours) but occasionally you get a break and just get to have a chat. Today I scored BobBrew and OkieSeaPig. Both war veterans. Both have made financial contributions to the site. Bob has made considerable time donations to the site and I think Mike will go the same way. I asked Okie, what does V/r mean at the end of his posts? He replied, "Very respectfully." I told him to cut that out from now on but what a sign of humility/beauty is that?!!! All of us should be signing our posts to them, V/r.

PackerFan, you are not my slave and BIABrewer.info, myself or anyone else here are also not yours. BIABrewer.info is not a faceless corporation that can do wonderful things for you like Google can without you contributiig anything. BIABrewer.info is made up of real people spending real time and real money on people just like you with just the naive hope that you will do the same. So, if you or anyone else wants more from this site than it already gives, then make sure you personally go to great lengths to add what value you can.

Fair enough? (Last time I gave you an answer in a thread I never heard back so I'm not holding my breath here :)).

Catch you later,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 21 Feb 2014, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Okie, I've refunded your second generous donation. I really appreciated it but, as far as possible, I want to avoid any single member doing more than their fair share. You just concentrate on getting home this week please.

I'm also not sure on this thread as it is quite out of character for this forum. On one hand it is easy to expect too much from BIABrewer.info or take it for granted and on the other hand, it is always great to get feedback on what users don't like. We have a bit of both above.

A lot of thinking and time does get put in here though, mainly by just a few people. In most areas, we do either know or have a very good idea of what we want/need to do but we are time and IT poor. Our job atm is to try and work out how to get around that.

If anyone is knowledgeable on phpBB and can see themselves offering something to BIABrewer.info, please send me a PM.

Many thanks,
Pat
Last edited by Pat on 23 Feb 2014, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests