The Visitor's Thread.

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Note that guests/visitors are able to post in this thread.

How did you find your way here? What are your first impressions? Is there anything stopping you doing your first post and becoming an active member of BIABrewer.info? What information, posts or threads keep you coming here?

[center]Thread Guidelines[/center]
Before posting here, if you are a guest, please be aware that it may take some time for your post to be approved and appear on the board. Your post here requires a name. Just type in anything you feel is appropriate.
Last edited by BIABrewer on 09 Dec 2013, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I'm a ghost. I don't feel as I can contribute anything here because the extent that existing members go to to help others out is amazing. That is what stops me from doing a first post.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Another Ghost wrote:I'm a ghost. I don't feel as I can contribute anything here because the extent that existing members go to to help others out is amazing. That is what stops me from doing a first post.

I feel the complete opposite about it. Knowing that experienced eyes are on me pushes me to contribute, this way I get more opportunity to have any errors in my thought processes worked out.

It can be intimidating to engage certain topics, but I do it anyway! :D
Last edited by Rick on 10 Dec 2013, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Interesting post there guys. It looks like the "Ghost" idea is going to be a good thing.
Another Ghost wrote:I'm a ghost. I don't feel as I can contribute anything here because the extent that existing members go to to help others out is amazing. That is what stops me from doing a first post.
I think some guys are on the back foot about doing a first post and then further posts because they don't want to ask a dumb question then look stupid. Having some very Biab savvy old hands on here adds to the intrepidation,plus BIAB is a great way to start AG (and continue AG as its the only method I have ever done) so a high % of new guys are beginners and its all still overwhelming for them.

My advice would be to do a first post detailing your whereabouts in the world and your brewing experience and if you don't want to post/comment after that thats fine. And don't worry about asking something stupid, there is no such thing as asking a dumb question on Biabrewer. We are all here to help each other and I'd bet there is someone reading/searching the forum right now looking for an answer to a problem which could be sorted much quicker with a post to the right section.
Last edited by Yeasty on 11 Dec 2013, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Thanks SiMania. To start contributing, make sure you write an introductory post in the thread located here. Once that post is approved, you will be able to contribute anywhere on the forum.
Last edited by Nuff on 15 Dec 2013, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
I like this forum primarily because I really like BIAB, but also because members here are truly helpful and genuinely nice, especially towards newcomers. This isn't necessarily the case for another large homebrewing forum I've been on. Cheers!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
-John Wayne (unverified)

Post #8 made 10 years ago
What keeps me from posting? My pride.

I, like some of the others above, don't want to look stupid.

I am also afraid of being snarked at, "Do your research before asking such a noob question! Look at my posts on xxxxx, xxxx, xxxxx, and xxxxx! Don't waste our time!" I am not saying that anyone here does this...but I have certainly seen/felt it on other big sites/forums. It hurts. It makes me cautious.

I'm new to this, so I don't know *where* to look a lot of the time...I don't know which sources are reputable...whose opinions to believe. I don't necessarily know how the boards work on any given site since each system is different. On top of that, there is a TON of information out there; it's overwhelming to someone who doesn't know anything but is eager to get started. Sometimes, the amount of information is paralyzing...I come to the 'net with a simple question and look up to see that three hours have passed, and I still haven't found what I was looking for!

Sigh.
~Deidre

Post #9 made 10 years ago
BrassBraBrewing wrote:What keeps me from posting? My pride.

I, like some of the others above, don't want to look stupid.

I am also afraid of being snarked at, "Do your research before asking such a noob question! Look at my posts on xxxxx, xxxx, xxxxx, and xxxxx! Don't waste our time!" I am not saying that anyone here does this...but I have certainly seen/felt it on other big sites/forums. It hurts. It makes me cautious.

Sigh.
~Deidre
Hi Deidre. You will find that there are no smart ass people on this board. They are willing to help in any way possible.
I too have been on forums that rudeness seemed to be the order of the day. Not here.
It is so refreshing to see there are real people out there actually eager to help.
I think they are all here. :)
Last edited by Dee Envy on 12 Mar 2014, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Canada

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Hi Deidre,

I am quite a newbie here myself, though I have posted a few times. To start with it was the typical newbies question, but I was answered politely and with great patience. I have recently managed to find a local HB club and the atmosphere is friendly, genuine help from genuine members, and this forum is the same only more so.

I second the advice given above, if you are nervous about posting, make your first few posts about you, What part of the world are you in, what do you like to drink, what do you like to brew. What sort of setup do you have?

That sort of thing.

When you are comfortable, then ask questions about BIABacus ( THE best teaching tool I have come across) :) or about a brew or recipe that you would like to know more about.

Or simply join in with one of the more generic chat threads. This way you wil get to know us better, and feel less worried about asking a 'stupid' question.

You will find that some of the replies still say "see my post here, here and here" but these are genuine attempts to help, pointing at 'gold nuggets' of info, that have taken hours to research, write and that otherwise you (and many others, myself included) might have missed. Not put downs. It can take longer to find and paste in these links than to write a new but less useful new reply, so I see them as the result of real effort on behalf of the postee and appreciate the effort.

I hope this helps.

The most important thing is to feel welcome, you are amongst friends, and to keep brewing.

Yettiman
Last edited by Yettiman on 15 Mar 2014, 02:59, edited 4 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 10 years ago
BrassBraBrewing wrote:...On top of that, there is a TON of information out there; it's overwhelming to someone who doesn't know anything but is eager to get started. Sometimes, the amount of information is paralyzing...I come to the 'net with a simple question and look up to see that three hours have passed, and I still haven't found what I was looking for!
I missed this post until now.

Firstly, great answers above. Nothing I can add on the community and culture here apart from that it has been stated before that one major reason this forum was started was to provide a community of goodwill - friendly, fun, explorative, helpful etc. Anything against that tone, I think they knocked on the head in the first year.

Now the main thing that struck me in BBB's (Deidre's) post was the above snip I quoted. I well remember exactly what she is saying and that is another major reason why the founders of this site started BIABrewer.info. There is so much garbage out there to sort through.

I write a hell of a lot on this site but most of what I write is correcting or clarifying the bewildering mess of information that people have come across on other sites (and software). We're at an uncomfortable place atm here because we are still trying to structure the site so that people like you, BBB, will not have to read for hours to find the right info and confidence. Making the mess simple is extremely hard and when we are done with the task, everyone will say, that must have taken five minutes - lol. (Hopefully they will, as it will tell us we have done a perfect job!).

Sorry for the digression BBB but I'm getting to a point (I hope!). Until we do get the site structure laid out and written as we want it to be, if you do make a first post here and ask questions, you will get one on one attention and you will be told what to focus on.

All-grain brewing with BIAB is easy as. You shouldn't be worried about anything really. All you need to know are the following...

1. Does my water taste like crap? (Usual answer is no, so go to 2)
2. Where do I find a robust recipe? (Ask here)
3. How do I know what quantity of ingredients to buy? (Ask here. BIABacus.)
4. How do I know how much water to add? (Here again.)

That's about all you really need. I think in the new site structure, there is a thread called, "Planning my first brew." Most of the stuff you read on the net is garbage Deidre. Don't waste your time on it like I did. We've spent the years digging through the garbage so you don't have to. For now, I think the easiest thing to do is for you to make a first post and then maybe start a thread saying, "Planning my first brew." We'll get you un-paralyzed.

I don't even think that you, Deidre, need to go through the process Yetti suggested (great for many others though, for sure). Everyone here is friendly. You've read enough - too much! Let's just get you brewing!

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 14 Mar 2014, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Re: The Ghost Thread.

Post #12 made 10 years ago
I've only been brewing for about 1.5 yrs. and BIAB-ing for 8 months. Early on, I spent a lot of time on another forum. There, I found a lot of information; some good, some bad. It was actually during my first BIAB brew that I asked a "stupid" question on the other forum and received quite a few smart-ass responses telling me the same. This really dampened my enthusiasm but luckily I had found this forum around the same time. I have never encountered anything like that here. In fact, I believe our members generally go to great lengths to help people along, provide encouragement and make them feel welcomed. As luck would have it, I am 100% "in" with BIAB and haven't felt the need to go to the other forum. Besides, most of them think we are all nuts anyway!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
-John Wayne (unverified)

Post #13 made 10 years ago
Well said Hopster. I quit going to the other forums for the most part. Sometimes I check in but rarely post. The wealth of information here is outstanding! PP, Pat , and Bob go to great lengths and should accept the praise that the are due.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests