Posting Advice

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I’ve been posting for a month now, and it’s a bit like talking to a brick wall sometimes! At other times you get into a good discussion with feedback. That’s quite exciting and you can learn a lot.

It can be like talking to a brick wall because when you are sitting having a chat with someone, things are much more fluid, and you have constant feedback, facial expressions and empathy. Posting is different. It’s difficult to express yourself to an unknown audience. You don’t know what they are going to think and how they might respond. I think the interspersed chit chat and play helps to make communication more natural, but that’s a personal opinion.

Experienced posters have learnt what might be received well, and they also know the site culture well. As a beginner, I made a few mistakes, and as I have learnt, I went back and edited some posts. The edit button is great! It’s like training wheels for a beginner.

There is a good introduction to the site culture on the “all the best for 2013” thread. #43 Here and #25 Here

I don't think people need to hesitate before to taking the plunge into posting. Friendliness is ever present here and so is acceptance. There is no apparent hierarchy either. If you are new, you are treated with as much respect as the old timers. There’s no subordination of new members at all, that I have detected, and I think that’s amazing!

Everyone has brilliant ideas and questions. We are bright, practical, thinking, forward thinking and open minded people! That’s why we ended up here! I don’t think people should worry too much about credibility. Everyone probably has enough of that in their day jobs. Hobbies are for letting your hair down a bit.

Those are my thoughts as a new person.

Is there any feedback from old timers, new posters and people who haven’t posted yet, that might help us all with our posting? Anything to help people as they get started posting? Or is everything in place already?
Last edited by GuingesRock on 26 Jan 2013, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Great post Guinges.

I think of this forum as an "international bar/pub" where you can drop in while having a beer. Like any bar it has a mix of characters that make the place interesting. One problem we do have is because its global and has members from every continent there can be a bit of lag time before a post is picked up on. This can be frustrating when all you want is an answer but if your patient someone will always help out.

The main thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a stupid question, ever !! Its those type of questions that have got us all brewing AG in a bag and without them I would still be brewing extract beers if at all.

:peace:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 11 years ago
What we all have to remember is that besides being separated in time zones we are separated by a common language. Jokes or the way we phrase things may seem a bit off putting depending to ones culture. It's best not to be offended and take any questionable wording without malice. What is cute and funny in one culture may be insulting in another? So I try to keep this in mind when I write my dribble. I have a group of friends here that I can rely on for brewing help or whatever? I do have a life and you all are part of it not all of it.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 11 years ago
That's a pretty good synopsis Guinges. As Yeasty and BB stated, the international makeup of the members here does create unique situations but it's all been good so far. My favorite part is learning new words....like "hob" (apparently that is a stove) and "seppo" (a respectful term of endearment refering to Americans).

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #5 made 11 years ago
This topic caused my brain to work.

Does anyone remember the BBS(Bulliten Board System) back in the last Century, Where ideas were shared, jokes were posted, Help was requested, And Spam and Flames were normal??

This Forum is a "grown-up" BBS, Not a FaceBook, Myspace, Random thought, Posting Place. But a place to Learn, Teach, and Argue over a single Subject, BIAB.

Sorry about the Ramble, but is early Morning Here!!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #6 made 11 years ago
PP :shoot: has lots of pet names for me! :love:
Like the following........

Bogan, Drongo, Dipstick, Galah, Kangaroos loose in the top paddock, Ocker, Yobbo

I am going to look them up to see what he thinks of me? :scratch:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

EDIT: :angry:
Last edited by BobBrews on 27 Jan 2013, 00:35, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #7 made 11 years ago
It’s brew in the bag. Maybe we should post when we are "in the bag” :drink: :drink: :drink:

I like Yeasty’s international pub concept. Maybe it's my lovely BIAB beer :lol: So I am going to PIAB (post in the bag) ...although only really have one foot in the bag (yet). It is Yeasty's birthday after all!
Guinges

Post #10 made 11 years ago
In America Slang, Telling someone "they got it in the bag" is a polite way to say "They got BALLS"

Sorry for the Offense Language to all Seppo's!!!!

Post #11 made 11 years ago
When I think of "they got it in the bag" I mostly think that they "have it made" , "A sure thing", as in, "it's already in the bag". Yes, I also think of someone being "inebriated" when we say "in the Bag" But mostly it's "a sure thing" Maybe it's generational along with cultural.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Yay! 300 posts in just under 2 months (this one is #301). I think I’m getting the hang of it now :lol: Do I get a prize? Or is that classified as a takeover bid :?: Only 1% of my posts got me into trouble with Nuff. I think that’s pretty good going.

I’d better cool it a bit and give some of the new people a chance. At least I haven’t started any new threads lately :roll:

My hops came, finally! So I can stop writing and do some more brewing. FWH here we come :party: I expect you’ll hear about it :)
Guinges

Post #13 made 11 years ago
GR, 300?????? you may want to check totals...........
Place Member Total posts

1 PistolPatch 2471
2 joshua 1768
3 hashie 1483
4 stux 1303
5 Pat 1274 Moderator
6 BobBrews 1115
7 Yeasty 1045
8 Lylo 956
9 thughes 754

Post #15 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:Damn! I've made 754.....no, wait....755 posts? Guess I need to get up and go outside more often.
Me too, but it's too cold to go outside during Jan/Feb in Canada. Spring will soon be here.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 23 Feb 2013, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #17 made 11 years ago
:lol: Lylo, Lots of Canadians joined up too in the last couple of months thanks to your campaigning for the site…and the frigid temperatures.

Joshua, I checked and I have written that many posts in 2 months. I don’t know whether to be proud or embarrassed. Probably the latter. I think I might have a little posting problem. It’s such a f’ing interesting subject though…I’m obviously obsessed. I’ll probably end up with a huge microbrewery, or my own web site or something.

I had a web site before. I designed an innovative condom dispensing machine, to cut down on teenage pregnancies and AIDS and wrote a web site to sell them (now I’m even more embarrassed). I gave the company away and it is still going. I shipped the condom machines as far away as Namibia, and even some guy in Australia bought 25 of them from me, and paid for the shipping. If you see one of these PP next time you are grabbing a pack of condoms, just mutter to yourself... "that damn GuingesRock is everywhere!” :lol:
Last edited by GuingesRock on 23 Feb 2013, 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #20 made 11 years ago
I think there is a time and a place for humour.
This site is about BIAB, education, etc. etc. However.... that Lambert post made me laugh out loud.

I was just hoping for one of the other "mods" to reply.

Hints is like "The Stig" on Top Gear!
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #21 made 11 years ago
It took me ages to realise that the character Nuff is an administration tool, used by all the founders, with input from the mods, to steer the site in a certain direction. :idiot:

Since I realised that, I have a lot of respect for him, and now that I understand the site culture more, I understand when he comments (unless he's had a few beers, then I wait for the re-write :) ) and I am glad that he is there :thumbs:

Before I realised that, I thought Nuff was just one uptight guy that needed to have a few beers and chill, and I’m embarrassed to say, I used to taunt him a bit (when I’d had a few beers) :evil:
Guinges

Post #22 made 11 years ago
Yeasty wrote:The main thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a stupid question, ever !! Its those type of questions that have got us all brewing AG in a bag and without them I would still be brewing extract beers if at all.

:peace:

Yeasty
How about “there is no such thing as a stupid answer” too?

I think the site is getting to the stage where it needs more answerers to answer all the questions. I think it should be a help each other out kind of place. The big guns and Hints will always gently step in if someone inadvertently gives incorrect advice, but I don’t think people should be embarrassed to answer, for fear of getting it wrong. You learn just as much that way.

IMHO
Last edited by GuingesRock on 19 Mar 2013, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #23 made 11 years ago
Is Joshua taking a break from New members welcomes?

If so should we all take it in turns to say hi to new members until he resumes ?

Joshua did such a great job with his personalized welcomes. I still remember his great welcome when I joined on Christmas Eve.

If other people welcome a new member, is the approval automatic, or does a MOD need to approve a new member before they can post?

Should it be old timers that welcome or should new members welcome as well?

I did a couple, but I felt awkward, and as though it wasn't my place to do that. But I didn't like seeing new members sitting there without anyone saying hello.
Guinges

Post #24 made 11 years ago
Good quetion GR.
Approval has to come from the Mods and they don't like to have anyone waiting too long for approval, they don't always have time to do a formal welcome so everyone is welcome to pitch in on the welcoming committee and I am sure Joshua won't feel offended if you want to help out.

Return to “Your Feedback”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 38 guests