Many thanks Lambert, OpusX, rdeselle, novaris and Ralphus for your feedback either here or in other threads. Your time is really appreciated. Here are some answers to some of your questions that may not have been addressed as yet.novaris
I've just written a post called, 'Colour Questions,' here
. I think we used SRM as the input for colour instead of EBC as their is less ambiguity. The EBC specs changed a little while ago but the old and new system seem to be both in use.
We haven't included a water profile spreadsheet as it is an advanced area, there are already spreadsheets around on this and the BIABacus is already large in file size. If we produce an online BIABacus program, we'd add that in an advanced area.
Gordon Strong has some very good points to make on colour and water in the podcast linked at the end of 'Colour Questions' post.
As for, 'Desired Volume into Fermentor,' in Section B, this is needed for the recipe to scale. Some more info on this was added a few days ago here
. The question, "Can you work out the two fields you need to change to scale a recipe to suit your equipment," was actually removed from the original beta questions as it is ambiguous and poorly written. Hopefully this same new post will clarify section B for you.
EOBV-A in section C is critical for hop bitterness scaling. We'll write a whole help post on this as soon as we can.
Davis, thank you for such a detailed post. If the answers above are not detailed enough, feel free to ask more questions in this thread
Thank you as well for such a detailed post.
The Source Recipe Link actually isn't protected. What's most likely happening here is that you are trying to paste a web address. Click on the cell and then click on the formula bar which is usually the lower most toolbar. Paste your web address there and then press enter.Everyone
Because for the design, some sort of limit had to be put on number of grain and hop rows. Eight rows will cover most recipes. If you have more, ask how to deal with it in this thread
As for the layout, initially it was hoped to put out the BIABacus as an online program where each section could be minimised and moved to suit each individual. Of course, this is not possible in a spreadsheet. We've tried to get the logic/layout done as best as we can so that all sections are close to their related sections but there are still some awkward bits. Three things for now...
1. Use the lowest zoom setting you can.
2. As Ralphus mentioned, the Unit Conversion Tool poses the most awkward navigation problem. What we could do is move it to a sheet of its own. This way the user could easily get to it. This could also be done for 'Extract Potential Adjustments'. All other sections probably need to stay on the first sheet due to their relationships.
3. Any section of the BIABacus, if unprotected, can be cut and pasted elsewhere. A little later on, we may set up a section for Enthusiasts where we can show them how to un-protect and re-arrange the BIABacus to suit their personal situation. The downside of this is that we wouldn't want altered copies floating around the net hence the thinking along restricting this to Enthusiasts. We do realise that the password can be hacked quite easily but we think that making it public would greatly increase the risk of poor versions spreading.
At the end of the day, the best outcome would be the continuation of the work done by Kostas and BIABrewer into bringing the program online. There's a lot more to the BIABacus than meets the eye and therefore, to write an online program that is good enough would require someone who can commit to it full-time for quite some period as well as a lot of time from our end. Such a commitment would need to be financially rewarded at some stage which is a whole other issue.
Our thinking atm is that even with it's inconveniences and limitations, the BIABacus in spreadsheet form is safe, fast to learn and has essential, powerful capabilities unavailable elsewhere. In addition, any initial inconveniences are soon ignored by the user.
A programmed online version would cost the user financially for very little 'real' gain. I also think a lot, if not all, of that gain we can actually create here as a community while still using the free spreadsheet form. A little later I'll pass on my thinking in this area.
Many thanks again,